Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: The Delicate Balance Between Too Much Fat Intake and Too Little; Too Much Bodyfat and Too Little

I got a wonderful fatty beef brisket the other day from my local grassfed rancher. The fat cooked up gorgeous and golden in the slow cooker! But I ate too much of it and got a little ill. It's a really delicate balance between too little and too much fat versus protein when eating keto carnivore!

Too little fat and too much protein means muscle cramps, eye twitches, possibly constipation. But too much fat and too little protein can mean gut discomfort and diarrhea. So one has to be careful! I find that I do best between 55% - 70% fat by calories.

I have also found there is a delicate balance in bodyfat percentage (and calorie restriction). I have found that 14% bodyfat (using the US Navy calculator) works best for me, which is about 20% calorie restriction (using the CRON calculator). If I try to maintain a lower bodyfat or calorie intake, I am just not healthy. I feel weak and don't have the mental acuity I need to do my job.

Also, I think that it affects hair growth as well. I noticed I have a lot of new hair growth, which based on the length (1/2 inch per month), means it came in around 8 - 12 months ago. That would make sense, since for the first part of the year last  year I had a slightly lower calorie intake and lower bodyfat. Now my bodyfat is back in a more ideal range, I am enjoying more hair!

But again, this is a delicate balance as well. When I start to gain a few pounds, I can feel my bodyfat creep up, and I do not like the feeling. It feels as if I am carrying around unnecessary weight (which is exactly what I am doing!). I feel a little sluggish in general and just feel more weighed down.

So it is very interesting to think of how there is a delicate balance between too little fat intake and too much, and similarly between too little bodyfat and too much!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts