Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Beef Tendon Success; Offal Love

I am so happy! I finally perfected cooking beef tendon!

The trick is to keep it fully submerged in water during the slow cook. Any part of it that isn't submerged gets tough. But if it stays submerged in the slow-cooker for the whole time (I did 11 hours), it came out beautifully! Sticky, collagen-y, wonderfulness!

The other trick to it was making sure it had flavor. Just cooking it on its own with water made it pretty flavorless. So I created a little rack and placed some beef osso bucco (crosscut shank) and kidney on top of it (out of the water). The juices from all that dripped down into the tendon and the water, instilling it with fantastic flavor!

I am especially excited to have figured it out, because today I am expecting my order of 100% grassfed/grass-finished lamb tendons!

I just so much love eating offal and organ meats. I much prefer them over muscle meat! Some of my ruminant favorites are sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus), testes, heart, kidney, tongue, tail, marrow, shank, and now tendon! I've also tried tripe which I really enjoyed, but it gave me a headache. Which makes sense, I always get headaches when I eat too much calcium, and tripe is high in calcium. So that's one I have to forego, unfortunately! I also enjoy lamb liver, but I find beef liver a bit too strong. And I feel like liver is so nutrient dense that I can't have it too often anyway. But I love having all this variety!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts