Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Flavor and Satiety

I have been thinking a lot about flavor lately. In the non-carnivorous world, people resort to salt, sauces, spices, marinades and dressings for flavor. But for my gut health, I do not use any of that, not even salt. So it is important to me that the meat has a lot of flavor on its own!

Flavor seems to me to be a big part of what makes my meal satiating. Which makes sense, since more flavorful meats would likely be more nutrient dense. The more nutrient dense a food is, the less of it you need to eat!

I have always been drawn to organ meats. I remember my friends in elementary school thinking I was so weird because I loved braunschweiger (a soft liver sausage). Nowadays, I absolutely enjoy organ meats far more than the regular muscle meat!

The organ meats just have so much more flavor and interesting texture. It is so wonderful to put some beef heart, lamb kidney or testes, sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus), tongue, or oxtail in an empty slow cooker and let them cook for 12 hours on low. The result is just so succulent and amazing!

I have finished up all of my gourmet pork, and I will very much miss the trotters (pigs feet). That just might be favorite cut of all, although pork is inflammatory because of its high omega 6 to 3 fatty acid ratio. The skin gets so soft and gelatinous and it is just totally heavenly! I need to figure out a red meat cut that can provide that kind of wonderful gelatinous goodness! I heard that maybe beef tendons do that. Maybe I will check the Asian grocery store today to see if they have beef tendon!

Also the temperature at which the meat is eaten makes a difference too. I am often lazy and just eat my leftovers cold out of the fridge. But they do not have much flavor that way. If I let them sit out for an hour or so, they taste much better! And of course, fresh out of the slow cooker is best of all. Mmm mmm!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts