Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Coping with Dairy

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm not going to be able to find external beef fat! All of my local farmers and processors seem to trim external fat off and then add it to their ground beef, rather than leave it on the cuts. What a strange world we live in today!

Grassfed marrow is also extremely hard to come by, and I can't get enough to use on a consistent basis to maintain 80% fat intake.

Since my gut does not tolerate plants or plant oils, I have no choice now but dairy for my fat source to remain in ketosis. But it causes my keratosis pilaris to flare up, and seems to aggravate my gut too! How can I cope with this? I really want to remain in ketosis!

I checked, and my local grassfed dairy farmers have A2 cows. According to some, A2 is a less troublesome form of casein than A1. And since I am using just cream and not milk, and making clotted cream from that, the amount of casein in it should be quite a lot less than whole milk.

I guess I will just have to continue using it and see how it goes. Maybe over time, I will adjust better to dairy. Homemade grassfed clotted cream is certainly the most delectable form of fat I can find! And it travels well too, for when I have to eat away from home. I can just pack a little container of 35g per meal, and I am all set!

If I still have issues digesting dairy, another option, which I don't like, is to supplement with DPP IV. DPP IV is an enzyme which supposedly helps the digestive system break down the proteins in gluten and casein. I've taken it before many years ago, and it did seem to work, but I really don't like the idea of popping pills! I feel that when one is following the proper diet, no supplementation or drugs of any kind should be needed!

Grassfed beef with homemade grassfed clotted cream and smoked salt





Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts