Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Dropping Dairy (and Pork?)

About a month ago, I tried reintroducing dairy to my diet. But I'm just having too much gut trouble with it!

Some people say, have you tried raw milk? Yes, that's what I've been using. Have you tried grassfed dairy? Yes, same! Have you tried fermenting it? Yes, any fermented items/cultured items just seem to provoke more gut issues. What about A2 casein dairy rather than A1? Yep, tried it. How about goat milk? Yep, tried it. How about ghee? Yep, tried it. How about using lactase? Tried it.

I really, really, just need to come to terms with the fact that dairy and my gut do not get along. I'm not lactose intolerant. I have tested for that and was completely negative. I'm a little casein sensitive, so perhaps that's my issue (although you'd think clotted cream and ghee would be OK then since they shouldn't have much casein).

Whatever the problem is, I guess it just boils down to the realization that I have to do what is right. My body is protesting! The keratosis pilaris which I had years ago on my thighs is now back with a vengeance, my gut is visibly distended, and feels bloated and uncomfortable as well.

I'm still on the fence about pork. I don't think it bothers my gut at all, but I do think it may cause some inflammation. I think I will drop it as well. I really strongly believe that grassfed ruminant animals are the healthiest food source!

So I have to come up with another alternative for fats to add to leaner cuts to maintain my desired 80/20 keto ratio!

I had been enjoying 100% grassfed marrow, but all of my local suppliers ran out. It is also rather expensive per serving, at a minimum of $2/ounce (and I eat an ounce and a half per serving usually). 100% grassfed cream is just $0.28/ounce, and when I make clotted cream with that, it is still only $1.28/ounce. So you can see that marrow ends up being much more expensive per ounce of finished product!

I was trying to think, "What would our homo sapiens ancestors have had for fat?" They had marrow and brain for sure, since we have archaeological evidence of bones and skulls being cracked for just that purpose. They would have eaten sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus) as well, which is another extremely high fat and desirable cut.

But I thought of another fat to which they would have had access. Body fat! Body fat is also called external fat, as opposed to internal fat, which cushions delicate organs like kidneys. Many cuts have a nice layer of external fat on them, such as the fat cap on beef briskets (before the low-fat craze had processors cutting them off!).

I'm going to try to get my hands on some external beef fat. I think that might work well for me. Here's a nice blog post showing photos of the difference between external and internal fat (suet):
https://grassfood.me/2014/02/03/what-type-of-fat-do-i-have-rendering-tallow/
See the difference between the body/external fats in photos 3 and 4, rather than the suet/internal fat in photos 5, 6, and 7? Suet is much whiter, waxier, and more crumbly. External fat is softer and will melt.

There is a discussion on a butcher's forum about the difference between external and internal fat here:
http://meatcuttersclub.activeboard.com/t52895798/what-are-some-differences-between-fat-and-suet/

"[M]y customers would ask for suet to be added to the trimmings for ground venison but most if not all didn't know there was a difference in the fats. Most just thought that suet was the name for beef fat. I would explain that there is a difference and recommend regular fat from loin, chuck and round. I never had anyone insist on kidney suet. I did however get many many compliments on the quality and taste of the burger that I made for them."

When I've rendered suet into tallow, it's terribly waxy and undesirable to eat as a side. It also sticks to the plate, dishes, the roof of your mouth. Really kind of gross. I've tried beef, bison, and elk suet, and they are all waxy like that. But I know that external fats, such as that on beef loin, are much softer and more palatable. In fact, really, really tasty!

So I've put the request out for some external fat...hopefully I can find some soon! In the meantime, I have a little marrow for now!


Golden grassfed beef marrow


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts