Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Problems with Dairy - Other Beef Fats Instead?

I mentioned that I've had to reintroduce dairy to my diet because my local farmers have run out of marrow bones.

It's been a few weeks now and I feel like maybe dairy is just not good for me, even though I've strictly used cream and ghee only. I've noticed that the keratosis pilaris that I used to have on my upper legs has returned, for one. It's been so long since I had it, I forgot how much I hate it! Also, I've started feeling bloating in my gut and discomfort.

I think I need to find another alternative!

I had tried using beef tallow, but I find it too waxy and unpalatable to eat. However, I was realizing that the beef fat on fatty cuts like ribs and loin seems to be much softer and more delectable than tallow. I did some research and found that there actually is a difference in the fatty acid profiles of external fats (like those on ribs and loin) and internal fat (also called suet, which surrounds internal organs such as kidneys).

This has definitely been the case in my experience! The fat on beef heart, for example, is waxy. These internal waxy fats make for unappetizing eating, because they leave a waxy film in your mouth, on your plate, and are generally just not very appealing in texture. But the fat on a beautiful fatty loin will melt in your mouth!

Since the fat caps are usually cut off of briskets and other fatty cuts nowadays, what are processors doing with that fat? I think many of them are using that external fat to add to ground beef. But I'm going to ask around and see if I can get some! Then I'll have to figure out how to use it. I think I might be able to just roast it in the toaster oven, as I do with fatty cuts like this beautiful beef loin!

Fat cap on grassfed beef loin with smoked salt



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts