Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

More Thoughts on Dairy

I've quit dairy. I had to listen to my gut and my skin! They were protesting against cream! So as insanely delicious and delectable as homemade grassfed clotted cream is, I had to stop eating it for my body's sake!

I was able to find a little grassfed marrow, but it is expensive and in short supply. So I've had to come up with an alternative plan for fats!

I've asked around with my local grassfed farmers to see if they have external (body) fat. Unfortunately, they do not, as it often saved to mix back in with ground beef.

However, another option is just going with cuts that a nice natural layer of external fat on them, such as beef loin, short ribs, round roast, and brisket. So I'm going to try that for now!

I was really surprised to find this morning after my first dairy-free day, that my blood glucose/ketone ratio was amazingly low! Dr Thomas Seyfried recommends a 1:1 ratio ideally (which is often hard to achieve!). However, this morning mine was actually under 1! That shows me how much better marrow is than dairy for ketosis, at least for me!

My gut is starting to feel better and is appearing a little less distended. I'll also keep tabs on how long it takes my keratosis pilaris to calm back down. Hopefully, it won't take too long!

It's interesting to me how much cheaper and easier it is to come by dairy than quality beef fat. I bought a gallon of raw 100% grassfed milk from my local farmer for $9. With that, I was able to extract almost a quart of cream, which I made into about 6 ounces of clotted cream. I saved the leftover liquid from the clotted cream for a friend to use for half and half in their coffee. Then, there was still nearly a gallon of milk left, which I made into yogurt to give to my friends. (BTW, that's a LOT of yogurt!). So for that $9, I got clotted cream, half and half, and a ridiculous amount of yogurt! And, I could always freeze the milk, or any of the products I made, and use them in the winter when the cows might not produce milk.

However, trying to find a non-dairy source of quality ruminant fat is so much harder and more expensive! There's marrow, which is very precious, in short supply, and varies greatly in palatability as well. Sometimes it can be greasy instead of a nice solid creaminess.

Tallow is just too waxy to eat on its own. So that leaves fatty cuts of meat! Which again, can be hard to come by, since most processors trim the fat off of good cuts and instead add it back into ground beef. However, that is just the way things are now, unfortunately. I hope that I can work out a way to find enough fat to maintain a great ketosis level!

Grassfed beef heart with marrow and smoked salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts