Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Lean Meat = Sugar?

The last few days my fasting blood glucose levels have been higher than usual. Usually, they are between 69-79 mg/dl (3.83 - 4.38mmol/l). And usually my blood ketone levels are around 3.9 mmol/l. But the last few days, my glucose has been higher and my ketones lower. So the ratio of glucose to ketones has been much higher than the 1.0 that Dr. Thomas Seyfried recommends for therapy. Or my own personal goal of the "golden mean" of 1.61!

I think the reason for this is that I've been trying a new cut of beef for me, some round steak. I thought it might have a nice fat cap on it, but unfortunately it didn't, and it is a very lean meat. Even though I ate a good portion of homemade clotted cream along with it (which I actually spread it on top of it like butter! Salted, it tastes fantastic and doesn't melt like butter or ghee!).

I think my portion was just too large, and a lean protein like that is just like eating carbs or sugar. So it was like eating a large portion of rice. It raises glucose levels (and likely insulin levels) just the same as starches and sugar would!

Luckily, I finished the last of it and will be getting my usual fatty cuts again today. I was unable to procure any beef external fat, however, so I will still have to make my homemade clotted cream. Knock on wood, I think my clotted cream will work OK for long-term. It doesn't seem to bother my gut, although I see a little bit of distension, but just a tiny bit, and there's no pain or discomfort. I also think it aggravates my keratosis pilaris, but I just can't find an alternative fat that works any better for me. The positive points are that it is 100% grassfed, fairly affordable and easy to come by compared to marrow, and it is A2 casein which is supposed to be better for digestion than A1.

Mainly I'll try to stick with my favorite keto cuts that don't need extra fat added, but when I need to branch out, I will have my homemade clotted cream on the side!

Pasture raised ground pork with homemade clotted cream and smoked salt

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts