Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Too Much Protein, Same as Carbs!

I discovered this morning the problem of gluconeogenesis! Gluconeogenesis means that the body creates glucose out of non-carbohydrate sources, notably protein. I accidentally ate too much protein yesterday, which in turn lowered my blood ketones drastically this morning. Normally my blood ketones are around 3.2 mmol/l, but this morning it was only 0.8! Still in ketosis, but just barely!

I realized what it was that caused it. It was whey! When I make clotted cream, the clotted part is the fat (basically butter), and there is liquid part, which I thought was still cream. But the liquid isn't cream, it is whey! Which is protein! And yesterday I had only the liquid part, not the clotted part. So when I thought I was having fat on the side, I was actually having more protein. Live and learn! Have to drain off the whey!

Just a reminder of how important it is to keep protein low. The basic rule is to have only 1 - 1.5g protein per kg of body weight. For me, that means just 66g protein daily! I've been averaging 80g. So I should try and keep my protein intake a bit lower. That means eating more fat!

Here's a link to an excellent article explaining how important it is to maintain a good high intake of fat:

All traditional carnivorous diets, whether eaten by animals or humans, are more fat than protein with a ratio of about eighty percent of calories from fat and twenty percent of calories from protein.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html
"Why Low-Carb Diets Must Be High-Fat, Not High-Protein" by John Yudkin

The author explains that traditional diets contained 80/20 percent fat/protein. I have just been averaging around 70/30. I will make an effort to eat more fat! What a delicious task!

Grassfed beef heart with smoked salt and homemade clotted cream





Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts