Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Carnivore Diet: Hypothyroid Part II

I took a basic iodine patch test yesterday to try and see if I might be low in iodine. It was absorbed in just about three hours, so it seems that I do need to get more iodine.  I will make an effort to eat more mussels, clams, and scallops. They are all excellent natural sources of iodine, at around 140mcg per 100g serving.

I am also going to try fasting all day today to reset my system.

I just checked my blood glucose this morning and it is very good, just 85mg/dl. So that means I am still in ketosis. My digestion has been very good back on the high protein version of carnivore. So that is good too.

It's just that my weight was been steadily increasing for the past seven months, despite pretty high calorie restriction. I am now about 6 lbs heavier. So something is wrong there. I am 16% body fat instead of 14. And 17.9 BMI. Which is still fine, but heavier than I was.
I am pretty sure I might be slightly hypothyroid, based on a low free T3 blood level, and symptoms such as weight gain, dry skin, and depression. 

My plan is to eat more shellfish to increase my iodine. Maybe at least once a day for a while. And fasting today for a reset!

The good thing is that my hair seems to be coming in thicker now. I have a lot of new growth that is around 3-5 inches long, which would correlate to the time that I have been at a higher weight. So maybe a slightly higher weight is OK. But I just don't want it to keep going up!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts