Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Back to Keto! And A Vitiligo Update

I have decided that the high protein carnivore is just causing too much weight gain (even on severe calorie restriction). So despite the improvement in my gut, I have decided to go back to ketogenic carnivore. I've eaten the last of my mutton, which is my preferred fatty meat, since it is naturally in a ketogenic ratio, delicious, easily digested and very affordable. I have one beef tongue left, which is also in a keto ratio. Then this weekend I will pick up some lamb at the local international grocery, and maybe some small seafood that is low in mercury, such as scallops and shrimp. Those items I will cook and dip in some reserved beef fat to help them be more ketogenic.

Already after one day of higher fat, my weight has gone down a little. So that's a good sign! It is so fascinating how fine-tuned our body is. Even though I was only eating 700 calories per day, it was very high protein (40/60 fat:protein ratio), and my weight was just continually increasing, despite much lower caloric intake. I guess the body treats high protein the same way as carbs, and thinks "oh this is glucose, let me make bodyfat out of it and pack it away for safekeeping." Which is NOT what I want!

My ketone strips will arrive tomorrow, too late after my high protein sidetrack to find out my levels. Now I am high fat again and I am sure my ketone levels will be good. I was surprised that my blood glucose still was completely level at around 80mg/dl no matter if fasting or postprandial even on high protein!

In addition to my Crohn's disease, I also have a little bit of vitiligo (white skin patches). I think it started around 10 years ago, and I believe it was brought on by using chemical hair dye. I've since moved to henna, and been doing some narrowband UVB treatment of the vitiligo. Some of it has repigmented on my body, but some spots still remain. I have ordered some auto-immune blood tests later this month, to see if I see have active auto-immune response or any thyroid issues. If so, maybe I will need to tweak my carnivore diet! If not, I will just continue my narrowband UVB treatment.

I am also going to get a consultation next month on excimer laser treatments for it. In addition, I will try a different natural (bug-based!) alternative to the henna, since henna, indigo, and other plant-based dyes still contain naturally occurring phenols. Phenols are similar in their makeup to tyrosine (an amino acid that the body uses to make pigment), so the cells grab the phenols instead of tyrosine and then don't make pigment. That is the same substance that is in chemical dyes that can cause vitigilo as well.

I'll post back the results of all that!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts