Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Which is Better for Crohn's? Ketogenic or High Protein? Piscivore?

I've been thinking a lot lately about fat to protein ratio. For my past three years of following a strict carnivore diet, I had previously been doing about a 60 to 40% (by calorie) fat to protein intake. The only problem with that is, when I do eat higher fat like that, I tend to have more sensitivity in my gut. I get intestinal cramping from time to time which can be painful and worrisome when in a public place. And often I get diarrhea as well.

So in these past three years of strict carnivore, I have been experimenting with a higher protein ratio, around 40/60 fat to protein. That seems to work well for me in terms of not having intestinal cramping and no diarrhea. But one thing is I have found is that it seems to make my weight a little higher. It is really strange. In fact, it seems I have to eat much fewer calories when I'm eating high-protein than when I'm eating high-fat to maintain the same weight. Otherwise my weight just goes higher and higher on the high protein diet. I don't know if gluconeogenesis is causing more buildup of body fat, or maybe it's just that I'm not really in a very high state of ketosis, or not in ketosis at all. Maybe at a lower level of ketosis, I am not burning body fat very much and therefore it tends to stay on.

I'm a bit annoyed, because now with this higher protein ratio, I am about four pounds above my normal maintenance weight that I prefer (~14% body fat). I'm having trouble getting it back down. I've even been severely restricting my calories for 2 weeks now and it still hasn't gone down! So it's a bit frustrating, and I'm wondering if I need to go back to the higher fat content. But I really don't like the gut sensitivity.

Another experiment is to perhaps move back to a piscivore (pescetarian-based carnivore) diet again. I had tried it before, and I liked it, but it is expensive. Then I could still eat high-protein, focus on scallops and shrimp and small fish (to avoid mercury, since I tested high in it). Those all seem to do very well for my gut, and also I seem to be able to keep my weight down when I eat piscivore as well. So I think that's worth a try.

In about a month, I should receive my two whole lamb shares, so then I can get back to my higher fat content again, too, if I want. Or at least just one meal a day with some fat, and combine that with the pescetarian carnivore plan!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts