Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: High Protein and Weight Gain

I have been eating too lean, I think. I ran out of mutton about a month ago, and had been buying some beef organ meats and cheaper cuts like shank, but I think they are just too lean. My fat to protein ratio is backwards, 40/60, instead of 60/40. This has been good for my gut and Crohn's disease, but has caused my weight and body fat to reach a higher level than I prefer, despite severe calorie restriction down to just 700 calories per day. Also my menses is irregular as well.

Another possible factor is that I have started walking over a mile to work, about a month ago. I don't know what that could cause weight gain, but who knows. Maybe I am somehow building muscle and that is causing gain?

But I think eating too lean is probably the issue. Siobhan Huggins mentioned recently on Twitter that she too gains weight when eating high protein, and loses on high fat.

I was thinking that perhaps I wasn't in ketosis anymore. I had stopped checking years ago since it was always good ketosis levels and glucose leves. But to be safe, I picked up some glucose testing strips yesterday and confirmed perfectly stable glucose all day and postprandial of around 80mg/dL. So that seems to confirm that I am in ketosis. I have some blood ketone strips coming Saturday and can get exact figures.

So if I really am in ketosis, I don't really understand why body fat is higher when on a higher protein diet with walking a mile every day and eating extremely restricted calories. I know that my protein intake is considered overly high, even in the low-carb world, but I feel really good and my digestion has been so wonderfully easy.

At any rate, I think maybe I will get some lamb from the international grocery until my two whole lamb shares come in early next month and try to rid myself of these extra four pounds!

I will post back on my ketone results when I get the strips.

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts