Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Side Effects While Trying to Increase Fat

This past month at my new home, I have gained four pounds, although severely restricting calories and now walking a mile daily and doing a lot of heavy yard work. I think the cause of the weight gain is from doing a high protein version of carnivore diet. So I am now trying to lose those four pounds by going back to high fat. Essentially, going from 40/60 fat:protein by calorie, back to a more ketogenic diet of 60/40.

I have 3 weeks or so until I receive my two whole grassfed lamb shares that I ordered from a local sheep rancher. My freezer otherwise only had very lean cuts, such as lamb tendon, which I had been enjoying. Tendon is 97% pure protein though!

So this last Sunday I went to the local halal grocery store and picked up some lamb to eat until my lamb shares are ready. I also ordered some wagyu beef yesterday, which should arrive tomorrow. It is actually 100% grass-fed, which was hard to find. In the photos, it of course looked leaner than regular wagyu, but I think it is important to get grassfed. I feel that grassfed is better for the earth, the animals, and for me.

My gut was doing so well on the higher protein diet. No problems at all. But  I did not like that I was gaining weight even with severe caloric restriction and much higher exercise! I was only eating 700 calories per day, yet my weight was going up. So weird.

So I am back to high fat again. Unfortunately, already my gut is having some issues with it. I am getting intestinal cramping which feels like impending diarrhea. Knock on wood, I have not had diarrhea yet. But that has happened in the past when on a high-fat diet. I have had more bowel movements as well. The cramping is painful.

I will try high fat for a few days and see what happens. I really would like to get my weight back down 4 lbs again, but I really hate the intestinal cramping. It feels like something is wrong to me. Also, my fasting blood glucose has gone a lot higher now too. It was a nice steady 89mg/dl all the time, morning, day, even postprandial, while doing high protein. But this morning's fasting and after a nice fatty lamb breakfast, were both 105mg/dl. So high! I don't like that either!

But I'll give the high fat a little more time and see if things settle a bit. And hopefully, see my weight drop! However, if it doesn't, or if I have to suffer with more intestinal issues, I will go back to high protein and just restrict calories as much as I can to try and keep my weight down.

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts