Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore or High Protein Carnivore for Crohn's?

In my posting yesterday, I mentioned how I am pondering what is better for my Crohn's disease: a high fat, ketogenic carnivore diet, or a high protein carnivore diet. (After trying every other way of eating known to mankind, carnivore definitely works the best!)

The high fat diet tends to cause some intestinal cramping and diarrhea for me, whereas the high protein works great! Except after a month, I cannot get back down to my ideal 14% bodyfat.

I have decided to order some ketone blood test strips to check my level of ketosis while eating the high protein version of carnivore. I will also pick up some glucose blood test strips as well. I feel like I am in ketosis, since I have been able to eat very low calories per day without hunger. But yet, despite severe calorie restriction, my weight is not budging. My bodyfat is now up to 17% instead of my usual 14%. So I don't like that, although I certainly do appreciate that I no longer having the intestinal cramping and diarrhea from the high fat diet.

I am eating protein in terms of grams per kilogram of body weight of 2.3. That's very high according to this site:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/protein

"[W]e recommend a protein intake of 1.2-1.7 grams per kg of body weight for most people. In a few cases, even higher protein intake of up to 2.0 grams of protein per kg of body weight may be beneficial, at least temporarily."

But perfect according to the calculator on this site:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

And this site says it is fine as well:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-per-day#muscles-and-strength

"Some studies show that more than 0.8 grams per pound (1.8 grams per kg) have no benefit, while others indicate that intakes slightly higher than 1 gram of protein per pound (2.2 grams per kg) is best (14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source).  Though it's hard to give exact figures due to conflicting study results, about 0.7–1 grams per pound (1.6–2.2 grams per kg) of body weight seems to be a reasonable estimate."

However the last site also says this:

"If you're carrying a lot of body fat, using either your lean mass or your goal weight, instead of your total body weight, is a good idea, as it's mostly your lean mass that determines the amount of protein you need."

So maybe my protein intake should be a bit lower after all.

I'm hoping to confirm that I am still in ketosis and that my glucose is not too high while on the high protein version of carnivore diet. And if so, then I will continue to just severely restrict calories and see if my weight will eventually come down. It certainly should when only getting 600-700 calories per day for over two weeks! Maybe that's all I need when eating high protein. Would save me money on food, I guess!

If it turns out that my glucose is too high, then I will work on adding small amounts of fat back into my diet. But I definitely do not want to go back to the 60/40 fat to protein ratio (by calorie percentage). Right now I am the opposite, 40/60. So maybe the happy medium for my gut is 50/50.

I'll post my results when I have done some blood tests!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts