Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Calorie Restriction

I follow calorie restriction with my zero carb ketogenic diet, rather than do intermittent fasting. Both calorie restriction and intermittent fasting along with ketosis have been shown to provide many health benefits, including increased autophagy (cell recycling) and longevity.

Intermittent fasting did not work as well for me, because my gut does better with three small meals rather than two large ones. So that is why I use calorie restriction instead.

I use calorie restriction calculators online to track my percentage. I tend to follow around 20% calorie restriction from baseline.

To maintain this, it is necessary to measure my foods. I use a gram kitchen scale. Then I enter the amounts in a nutrition tracker.

One thing that is important to mention is that sometimes I have to adjust the way that I enter things due to the amount of fat in them. For example, there are two listings for briskets, one with fat, one without fat. So I have to be sure to choose the right one or the calories will be very different!

Recently I realized that for beef heart, there is only one listing. They do not provide a listing for beef heart with the fat on it. So it is important to input the fat separately as beef tallow to get the correct calories! 

I aim for 70% fat / 30% protein intake, although sometimes my fat intake is a little less than that, such as 67%. But that is still high enough fat percentage to keep me in constant ketosis and ward off hunger. Which is important for sustainable calorie restriction!


Grassfed beef tongue










Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts