Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Mixing It Up

I think that is important to mix things up from time to time with zero carb keto. I do that by switching between beef and lamb, and also eating a wide variety of organ meats and offal, such as tongue, heart, liver, kidney, sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus), oxtail, and even testes (also called "fries").

Another way to mix things up is to have some fish from time to time. There are a few types of fish that are fatty enough on their own for ketosis. Sablefish (also called "black cod") has a perfect ketogenic ratio of 70% to 30% protein. I was able to special order it from the local Whole Foods.

There is also Atlantic mackerel, at 61% fat to 39% protein. I am able to find this at my local Asian grocery store. Be aware that Pacific mackerel is not the same, and has much less fat. Wild-caught Atlantic mackerel from Norway is very good, healthy, and lower in mercury than other mackerel. Here is a nice article about it:
http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/bid/84538/The-Superfood-Fish-You-Should-Be-Eating

If you can tolerate some carbs or plant matter, there is coconut cream. My gut seems to mostly tolerate the "Let's Do Organic" brand that comes in a shelf-stable box (but not other kinds that come in a can, because of added gums). I do OK with it as long as I do not have it very often at all. There is also coconut oil, but I personally do not find coconut oil very palatable on its own.

Also, there is food-grade cocoa butter. In the past I have made "fat bombs" by melting food-grade cocoa butter and pouring it into silicone molds sprinkled with a little sea salt. It is basically unsweetened white chocolate. My gut does OK with that too, as long as I do not have it very often.

And of course, there is pork, poultry, eggs, and dairy. I generally try to avoid them, (especially dairy since I find it very addictive!). But from time to time, they can be a change of pace. And for me, they make me appreciate beef and lamb all that much more!


Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts