Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Mellie Had a Little Lamb

I picked up my two whole lamb shares today from my local farmer!

The meat fit into two regular coolers, which then I was able to fit easily into my new 5 cubic foot chest freezer in my little condo kitchen.

I was able to request that the meat be wrapped in paper, which was great! After watching the documentary "Plastic Paradise," I was really awakened to how plastics never go away. They just get moved around, for thousands of years! And since my meat packages were the main plastic I have been using that is not able to be recycled, this is a great step towards producing only biodegradable waste! I put the paper packages into insulated cloth bags to try and protect the meat from freezer burn.

I was really disappointed to see that the processor did not include any of the organ meats, although I had specifically requested heart, tongue, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and "fries" (testes). So far it has been three for three in not get everything I request from processors! This is one reason that I want to learn meatcutting myself.

It came to a total of about 75 lbs for both lambs, not including the soup bones. The cost per pound came to $8, which is a little higher than I would like. However, the good thing about lamb is that it is already a perfect ketogenic ratio, and so requires no additional fat at all. So that saves quite a bit money there!

I will try to put together a YouTube video with some snapshots of what two lamb shares look like!

Also, I self-published a simple zero carb keto "cookbook", and received my first copy in the mail yesterday! It turned out very nicely, with beautiful glossy paper and photos. However, it is quite thin at just 32-some pages, and the price per copy is too high, in  my opinion. So I might see what other ways that they offer to publish. They have a pdf version for just $5, but I would think some people might prefer a real book (I know I do!). So I'll keep working on it!


Grassfed lamb stew meat with sea salt



Two whole lamb shares plus some chicken for a friend


Two whole lamb shares - small chest freezer to the right




Comments

  1. Thanks for the pictures. I can't wait to see the cookbook!!!! Let me know as soon as it is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I'm pretty happy with the cookbook, it is beautifully printed. But at $18 my cost per book, I feel like that is kind of pricey for just 30 pages. It is $5 for a pdf, or $9 for an e-book, but personally I like real books better. Can you please tell me your opinion?

      Delete
    2. Honestly, I am the same as you. I would much rather have the tangible book in hand, but $18 is a little pricey. For that reason alone I would probably just get the pdf for $5 or wait and hope you can get the price down for the real book. I'm excited that you already have it done. That was quick!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your input, Lori!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts