Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

How Important is Ketone Level?

Lately my bood ketone levels have gone down. They were previously at around 3.9mmol/l for the whole last year, but the last few days are just 1.0 or even lower!

I know that menses can suppress ketone levels, but I am not in menses right now. I think it is happening because I have stopped having extra marrow fat on the side now that I am eating just lamb. The lamb is enough to keep me in ketosis on its own, but just barely!

Whereas previously I was able to maintain a 75% fat / 25% protein intake by eating beef with added marrow fat on the side, now I am down to just under 65% fat / 35% protein now. So I think that lower fat intake is what has caused my blood ketone levels to drop.

I am still in ketosis though, and my current blood sugar and ketone production throughout the day is perfectly level at around 80mg/dl (4.4 mmol/l) blood glucose and around 1.0 mmol/l for ketones. So that is good to maintain great consistent levels all day.

I'm getting all of my nutrients, and not taking in too much protein, (just 85g daily). I feel good. The lamb is absolutely savory, juicy, and delicious.

I also like that by buying a whole lamb share, I am using every part of the animal and there's no waste, I don't need to buy anything additional (besides salt), and the farmers can have peace of mind in selling a whole animal share as well.

Another positive is that my bowel movements seem to be better. When I go with higher fat, they can be a little soft!

Also, buying the marrow bones is a high additional expense. Good grassfed marrow is precious and pricey!

So I think for now, I will continue with just the whole lamb share and no additional fats on the side even though my ketone levels are lower. It's been just about a full month of lamb and I think I have a few weeks' worth still in the freezer. I can see how my ketone level maintains over the rest of that time!

Grassfed lamb chops with smoked sea salt






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts