Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keepin' it Real?

Although modern life has created many luxuries such as indoor plumbing and on-demand entertainment, in some ways I feel we are really lacking.

For example, sunlight! You'd think something that is zero cost and freely available wouldn't be so hard to get, right?

To back up a bit, when researching treatments for vitiligo, which I have to a small degree, UVB (ultraviolet B radiation) is often recommended as one of the best treatments. Also, for colitis, good vitamin D levels are very important for gut health.

For many years, I was under the impression by getting 15 minutes of daylight everyday, that would be enough to maintain good vitamin D levels. But I found out recently that this theory is wrong!

In my part of the United States (the midwest), there really isn't any way to get enough vitamin D strictly from sunlight! It has to do with our latitude, and smog plays a part as well. It seems that it is really only possible by being almost naked, lying flat on the ground, at high noon, in summer!

Also, it's not possible to get enough from food either, which was a surprise to me!

I do have a small handheld UVB lamp which I have been using just on my vitiligo spots. They are repigmenting, albeit very slowly (it takes years!). However, I'm thinking more and more how important UVB is for the whole body, to replenish vitamin D stores daily. 

I think I might purchase a slightly larger tabletop UVB unit. I'd like to get a full body one, but those are only available by prescription, unfortunately.

It's too bad that I can't just keep it real and spend time outside, or eat healthy food!

Grassfed lamb chops with smoked salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts