Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Ketone Production Versus Fat Intake

My blood ketone levels have gone down. I've stopped having additional marrow fat on the side of my meals since I bought a whole lamb share. Almost all of the lamb cuts are around 65% fat / 35% protein naturally, so I figured that is close enough to ketogenic to not spend the extra money to have additional fat on the side.

However, my blood ketone levels have gone down quite a bit. They used to be around 3mmol/l, but now lately are just 1.0mmol/l. Also, my blood glucose has gone up just a bit, too, which is to be expected, since ketones and glucose seem to run in inverse parallel relationship. It's gone up from an average 69mg/dl (3.83mmol/l) to 80mg/dl (4.44mmol/l).

So my glucose to ketone ratio was previously around 1 (which is ideal for therapeutic purposes), but is now around 4. However, I am still in ketosis, so that's good! And my blood glucose is at a constant 80mg/dl (4/44) all day, postprandial and fasting, so that's still really good too!

I did feel a bit stronger and more energetic with the higher fat content. So I might go back to adding some extra marrow fat on the side, but I'd rather not. I like the sustainability of just buying one lamb share and having that last me all of my meals for two months! No waste except for a small amount of bones, and the plastic in which it is wrapped (I wonder if I can request paper?).

As an aside, I wanted to mention that I think the Pacific Salt that I tried was actually too high in potassium for me. I think that zero carbers might have different mineral and vitamin needs than carb-eaters. For example, I've noticed for a long time that I can't have much calcium or I get headaches. I think the calcium RDA is meant for people that are getting it in means that might not be as metabolically efficient. Same for magnesium. And potassium! That particular salt is fairly high in potassium, and I got an overdose reaction. Edited to add: It is also possible that the Jana water that I was drinking at that was too high in magnesium, and that was the cause of the reaction. I just recently had a similar reaction to Gerolsteiner water, which also has quite a bit of magnesium.

Have to be careful which salt I use!

Grassfed lamb chops with smoked salt

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts