Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Carnivore Diet: Treating Autoimmune Hypothyroid

Since receiving my thyroid tests showing low free T3 and T4, and elevated TPO antibodies, I have been thinking of ways I might try addressing that. 

First, I am thinking of increasing my animal-source carbs and no longer practicing calorie restriction. 

For animal source carbs, I made some homemade 100% grassfed raw milk curds and whey. But they seem to cause a glucose spike. I just checked about an hour after eating and my blood glucose which is normally 80-90 mg/dl is now 120. So I don't like that.

There aren't a whole lot of options for animal source carbs. Just liver, squid, shellfish, whey, whey cheese (mysost), and quark. If I remove the dairy, that doesn't leave much! But I think I may need to remove the dairy. 

Dairy usually has a cumulative effect on me of depression, aggravated keratosis pilaris, and gut issues. So maybe I can only have it from time to time, not on a regular basis.

I notice that dairy is also very addictive and not satiating. So that's not good either!

Maybe I will finish off what I have and quit it for a while. Just concentrate on lamb liver, squid, octopus, and shellfish for carbs. Eat to satiety with no more calorie restriction. Reduce stress. Then retest my thyroid levels in 6 weeks or so!

To address the autoimmune antibodies, I am already doing most of what is recommended. I avoid gluten, dairy until a few days ago, grains, soy, etc. I avoid all chemicals in all of my toiletries, household cleaners and detergents, and wear natural fiber clothing. I even have given up henna for my hair since it has naturally occurring phenol, and have been using manganese iron oxide ochre to tint my hair the last few weeks. 

I do regular sunbathing and hiking, and eat heart and liver, for enhanced nitric oxide production. I have been using narrowband UVB for my vitiligo (and I am trying for my scalp too to repigment my white hairs). I am doing infrared sauna from time to time too, for release of toxins and for stress relief. I had given up vodka a while back. I only drink filtered water or unflavored seltzer water.

Hopefully I can turn this around! My weight just keeps going up every day. I'm now at 17% bodyfat instead of 14%, and BMI is now 18.4 instead of 17. My clothes are even getting tight. I don't like that one bit!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts