Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Working on Improving Hypothyroid

After discovering autoimmune thyroiditis, I have been working on improving my thyroid hormone levels naturally. I have decided to go back to a high fat, ketogenic carnivore diet rather than the high protein, low fat which I have been following the last few months.

I just need to be careful of the fats, however, because intermuscular fats seem to bother my digestion and cause intestinal cramping and diarrhea. And dairy fats cause other problems for me. So I'm working on getting meats that have more intramuscular fat instead, such as Wagyu beef. I placed an order for some 100% purebred and grassfed Wagyu steaks which should arrive mid-next week. Although expensive, I did some number crunching, and realized that Wagyu beef being so high-fat, packs a lot of calories in a small amount of meat. So actually the meats go farther and it should come out roughly the same, my portions will just be smaller.

I am also thinking of ordering more Mangalitsa pork. I did enjoy it when I ordered it last fall. The tails, feet, and belly are high fat and I seem to do OK with that fat. It's healthier than regular pork, being more monounsaturated fats rather than saturated. It's the kind of pork that the Paleomedicina clinic in Hungary uses in their protocol.

I am also eating mussels and shellfish on a regular basis for the iodine, and eating to satiety. I will not try to practice calorie restriction any longer. I think that's what may have caused the thyroiditis, actually. I am also going back to eating within smaller windows of time, and not during lunch.

The good news is, I think these changes may have started to improve my thyroid! I think my menses is returning, for one, and my weight went down a little this morning, after having increased a quarter pound every single day for the last six weeks. So I think that is a good sign as well!

I'll plan on re-testing my thyroid in a month or six weeks. But I'm hoping I won't need to do that, if it seems like things are back on track!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts