Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Treating Autoimmune Disease

Blood tests recently confirmed that I have autoimmune hypothyroiditis. I am trying to think of ways to treat it naturally without supplements or synthetic hormones. 

The main thing is to address whatever it is triggering the autoimmune response.

In my diet, I already avoid many autoimmune triggers such as gluten, dairy, goitrogens, soy, eggs, alcohol, caffeine. So there's not much to be done there. However, I decided to get back to a ketogenic, high fat carnivore diet, instead of the high protein one I had been following recently.

I am working on ordering more 100% grassfed purebred wagyu beef, so I can eat higher fat and have it be highly digestible fat. I have digestive problems with other fats such as butter, ghee, oils, tallow, and intermuscular fat. But I seem to do OK with intramuscular fat.

I already have cut out all chemicals from my toiletries and household products. I have been pretty pleased with using natural ochre to stain my hair instead of dye or henna. There's not much else I can do in terms of chemical exposure. I realized this morning that some of my clothes, which are all natural fibers, have been dry cleaned. So they could have some chemical residue on them. I should switch to clothes which are not dry cleaned.

I am going to try and eat shellfish on a regular basis for the iodine (and copper which should help my vitiligo).

The other thing I need to address is stress. I have made a few strides in that department, but I still have more to do. I am going to do infrared sauna on a regular basis for stress relief and for detoxing.
I get good exercise daily by walking a mile and a half to work plus doing some forest hiking.
I am making an effort to have a better support system too. It can be hard because I have no family and very few friends. I am working on it.

I plan to retest the thyroid panel in four to six weeks. I think I will know sooner than that, because my weight should stop increasing a quarter pound every day hopefully. It's incredibly demoralizing!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts