Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Improving Hypothyroid with High Fat

I think I am slowly but surely turning this new hypothyroid problem around. My body temp is going up day by day, inching closer to normal. My body weight has stopped increasing and is holding steady at 16% bodyfat, 18.5 BMI. Heavier than I have been the last three years, but still "athlete" level for an almost 48-yr-old female. My menses has returned after missing a month and is now back to normal flow and no pain, as it was previously on carnivore.

So I think this is all looking good. The solution was going back to high fat. I had screwed things up by going high protein instead. I enjoyed those lamb and beef tendons too much, and they are 97% protein!

It's tricky though. I'm trying to find fatty enough meat that doesn't cause intestinal cramping and diarrhea. For example, eating the visible fat on beef and lamb, even when beautiful golden and crispy, causes my gut some distress. But I have been eating chicharrones and fresh pork belly, and been doing very well with that. I may just have to do a pork-based diet, even though it makes my triglycerides a little higher than red meats do. It seems to work better for my body.

I also picked up some mangalitsa pork lard to try making rillettes with the two whole lamb shares I have in my freezer, since they are too lean to eat without the visible fat on them, and the visible fat causes my gut some distress. I'm hoping the mangalitsa lard will work for me! I really enjoyed the mangalitsa pork that I ordered last year. The taste was great, and it is supposedly a healthier fat than regular pork. It is the type of pork that the Paleomedicina clinic in Hungary uses in their protocol.

Another option is to try raw ground lamb. Apparently raw it has more fat than cooked. I found a way to finely "grind" meat with just a cleaver:
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-grind-meat-without-a-grinder/
That could be a fun experiment! And if my gut could handle raw egg yolk, I could put that on top, like steak tartare!

I am working on the autoimmune response part of the hypothyroid. I've removed all chemicals from my household products, toiletries, detergents. I'm wearing and using only natural fiber clothing and linens. I am trying to avoid stress and environmental toxins, and doing infrared sauna weekly. I use a UVB lamp to repigment my vitiligo, but it's not working very well. I have a consultation coming up in a few weeks on excimer laser treatments for the vitiligo and can post back what they recommend.

A couple years ago I had switched from chemical hair dye (which probably caused my vitiligo in the first place) to henna, but recently I tried using natural ochre instead. It worked, but I ended up staining my sofa a little. So I'm going to try going without anything on my hair. We'll see!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts