Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Artisan Butchery School?

I have been thinking about going to artisan butchery school!

I have read quite a few books on small scale animal slaughter and butchery. I want to learn which cuts are the fattiest, and how to ask for fatty cuts. American processors are just so trained to trim fat, it has been very difficult to get what I want.

So it made me wonder if I could just do it myself!

I already have experience rendering tallow, and I know how to cook offal and variety meats such as heart, tongue, sweetbreads, liver, gizzards, feet, tails, and kidneys. I know which meats are fattier, and I am learning which cuts can have fat caps. And I know how to cook and reheat fatty meats!

I think finding an artisan butchery school might be better than just a meatcutting program at a community college, since the artisan school might provide better background in retaining the fat on cuts.

I found an artisan butchery program in England. I feel that the English school might be good because they have more of a tradition with lamb, hogget, and mutton, grassfed meats, and retaining fat caps.

Here is the link to the program:
The School of Artisan Food, Nottinghamshire, England, UK
https://www.schoolofartisanfood.org/categories/butchery?page=1

Then the next step would be to learn how to raise 100% grassfed sheep and do field slaughtering. Then, if I could find suitable property, I could start my own small scale farm.

I am a little worried that as such a petite woman, I might not be physically strong enough. However, there might be tools that I could use to help. I did read a nice article by a lady butcher in England and she encourages women to get into butchery:
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/qkmkem/why-women-make-better-butchers-than-men

But another drawback I have found is finding a property for small-scale farm. It does not have to be very big, since sheep do not require as much land as cows. But I would want it to have an existing house on it that does not require a small fortune in repairs. And that is very hard to find!

So it could all be just a daydream. But it is an interesting idea!

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts