Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

What Is Your Body Telling You?

Sometimes when I go out for a walk, I am really shocked at how obese people are. It is really widespread, everywhere, it seems.

It started to make me think more about it.

When you look at your body, what is it telling you?

Maybe your body cannot actually speak to you in words, but it can still speak to you. It will give you many different signals!

For example, it can signal you that you are overconsuming if you start to notice your bodyfat increase. I feel so much better now that I can see muscle and vascular definition! It feels like a good signal to me that I am consuming the right amount of calories.

My gut will signal me with bloating, distension, and/or discomfort and pain when I have eaten items that are not digestible, such as plant matter. You could actually see it! My lower torso between my pelvic bones would be visibly distended!

My skin will signal me with keratosis pilaris (bumpy skin) if I have eaten something inflammatory, such as dairy or nuts. Swollen ankles and joints are another signal of inflammation. Or psoriasis, or alopecia.

About seven years ago, I discovered that I had some vitiligo patches (skin that had lost all pigment). This is a signal as well! In my case, I think it was caused from exposure to phenols in hair dye. So I have discontinued using products with phenols, and avoid foods with them as well. I am repigmenting my skin with narrowband UVB light therapy.

I used to have terrible menses, with a great amount of pain, bleeding, and mood swings. Since I began eating a restricted calorie, zero carb ketogenic diet, my menses has completely changed. It is really like being a new person! My menses is now very light, quick, easy, pain-free (knock on wood), and with no moodiness. Amazing! So that was a signal too.

Sleepiness after eating is another signal. I used to get very sleepy after eating, and sometimes crash out completely after dinner. Now that I have a high-fat diet instead, I maintain a solid alertness all day long, before and after eating. My blood glucose levels remain constant all day and night. I do not have the sleepiness after eating anymore (unless I eat too much protein and not enough fat, since protein converts to glucose!).

Then of course, your teeth and gums will signal to you if something is wrong too! When eating dairy, I noticed I would get tartar on my teeth and carbs would cause tartar and gum bleeding too. I do not get that now!

Hunger is another signal. It means you have not supplied your body with the necessary nutrients. Not just calories, but nutrients. I used to get so hungry just a few hours after eating a supposedly "healthy, whole-grain" breakfast. Now I realize that whole grains contain anti-nutrients, and that they were actually blocking the uptake of necessary nutrients. Now just a few bites of amazing, nutrient-dense food such as grassfed marrow and meat will keep me fully satisfied all day. Incredible!

There are so many ways that our body speaks to us. I just had to learn how to interpret the signals!

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts