Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Health Testing Results

Since I do not have a family doctor, I have to take personal responsibility for my health. I do frequent testing at home for blood glucose, blood ketones, blood pressure, weight, and bodyfat. In addition, I order other blood tests via online vendors as a "check-up" and as a way to clean out some old blood. (I am under the weight to be able to give blood at a donation center).

Lately I had been reading about how supposedly eating a very low carb diet is bad for women's health, including hormones, adrenals, and thyroid health. So I wanted to check for myself!

I ordered a thorough blood panel which included complete blood count, lipids, cortisol, DHEA, hormones, glucose, insulin, hbA1C, TSH, T3, and vitamin D. 

I am happy to report that all is well! My female hormones were a little low, but that is to be expected in perimenopause. My vitamin D levels have gone up nicely since using my narrowband UVB lamp, so I will continue to use it regularly. As expected and desired, my glucose and insulin were good and low from being in ketosis. My LDL is high, which the books like to call "familial hypercholesterolemia," but it really is meaningless. I have taken a heart scan and a tri-vascular scan and gotten perfect scores. My HDL was very good and high. My triglycerides were a little higher than usual, I think because I had been eating eggs, which I think are somewhat inflammatory because of omega 6 fatty acids. Otherwise, everything was really good!

I was happy to see great results! So it seems that long term zero carb keto is not only just fine for women, but in my experience, the best diet for my reproductive health. I have regular, very light, quick, and pain-free menses, with no irritability, mood swings, or cravings. That is a far cry from back in my carb-eating days!

I do want to add that I do not eat pork, poultry, (and I have quit my experiment with eggs), or dairy. I believe that pork and poultry are just too high in omega 6 fatty acids and can be inflammatory. Dairy has opioids such as casomorphins, which can cause a host of problems. For me, I find dairy fats addictive plus they cause me gut issues and weight and bodyfat gain.

I keep protein intake down to 30% of calories, and red meat animal fat is the other 70%. I do thirty minutes of ballet barre exercises daily.

So for me, a grassfed red-meat-and-fat based, restricted calorie, zero carb keto diet works really well. It is nice to see the proof in the testing results, as well as in how good I look and feel.

And how wonderful to have fatty cuts again! So savory and rejuvenating!

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt










Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts