Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto Efficiency

I was thinking the other day about how efficient zero carb keto is compared to other ways of eating.

I purchased a whole lamb share from a local farmer who is 90 miles away. There is practically no waste at all. I get all of the meat, organs, bones, and fat. I rendered the fat to give to a soapmaker who will make soap for me. I roast the bones for marrow. I eat the meat and organs.

When I cook the meats, it is very simple cooking. I use a crockpot or a toaster oven. I never need any additional fats or water for cooking. I put larger cuts like roasts in an empty crockpot, and let them cook on the low setting while I am at work all day. Smaller cuts like chops, I simply put on a tray in the toaster oven. Very effortless cooking, and very low use of energy.

After eating, there is very little waste either. A few small bones here and there from chops and ribs, and very little body waste.

In contrast, when I cook meals for friends who eat plant matter, there is so much waste! Stems, skins, seeds, need to be chopped off and thrown away and are not edible. Plant matter often needs additional fat for cooking as well, and takes more preparation and cooking time. It is not assimilated by the body as easily and is not as calorie dense, so more has to be eaten, and there is more body waste afterward.

I was also thinking about how much more effort it seems to take to grow vegetable matter. Since it is not very calorie dense at all, it requires a great amount of land to grow enough vegetables to feed a person's caloric needs. That land displaces natural animal habitats. Irrigation is needed, and some pains must be taken to keep animals and other pests from eating the vegetables. For large monocultures such as soybeans and grains, heavy equipment is used for harvesting, relying on fossil fuels.

Whereas when raising grassfed animals, such as sheep, it surprisingly does not take that much land. It is possible to raise two to five sheep per acre of pasture. Raising grassfed animals actually replenishes the soil and grasslands.

Ideally, hunting would be even better, as that does not displace any animal habitats at all, and allows natural environments and soils to flourish. So maybe I should learn how to hunt, or encourage my male friends, who historically would have been the ones trained for that! Something to consider! In the past I have purchased wild game meats from a ranch that uses field harvesting techniques. But I prefer to eat locally as much as I can. Right now, since all I am eating is this lamb share, all of my food is local except for the sea salt!

At any rate, I am so grateful to have such bounty, and my body is grateful for the ease and efficiency of eating zero carb keto!

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt












Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts