Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto and Familial Hypercholesterolemia

I have come to think that maybe the so-called experts out there just really do not know. They spout off what they have been taught, but they really do not know.

For example, I have supposedly high LDL, and always have. (Personally I think what some people call "high" is actually perfectly normal for certain people).

The experts like to call this "familial hypercholesterolemia" (which is really quite meaningless, it just means that high cholesterol runs in the family). But, they also say that this is directly correlated to heart and cardiovascular disease. So they say you must take a statin or else risk imminent death or stroke. And avoid all saturated fats, they say.

Most people would just start taking the statin and throw out all of the saturated fats in the kitchen.

My frustration comes when I dig deeper.

I want to know, what is the mechanism by which cholesterol carried by lipoproteins in the blood causes a burst plaque in an artery? That does not quite add up for me.

Also, other markers that the familial hypercholesterolemia patients should check are Lp(a), blood pressure, and inflammatory markers such as CRP.

I have had all of those tested, and they are all excellent!

But still, I want to trust the experts. So I thought, OK, maybe these signs are all fine, but I still have arterial plaque?

So I had a CT heart scan done. I got a perfect score!

Well, that is confusing! Why are all of these scores just fine, and why would the scan show no plaque at all?

So I had a tri-vascular scan done, which tests the aortic, carotid, and peripheral arteries. Again, a perfect score!

So I am theorizing that maybe, just maybe, this supposed correlation is only valid under certain conditions. Perhaps it is not valid under a zero carb ketogenic diet.

At any rate, I will keep doing regular blood pressure testing at home, as well as getting blood tests for Lp(a) and inflammation.

I will continue to not use pharmaceuticals or supplements of any kind.

And I am going to continue zero carb keto!

Zero carb keto has made me feel so good, keep a nice low bodyfat, have solid energy levels all day, and given me the best possible scores on all of my various blood tests from CBC to insulin to osteocalcin to CRP, LDL size, and the list goes on and on. I will not lose all that just to have a lower LDL level!

Grassfed lamb steak with sea salt



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts