Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Emergency Preparedness

Hurricanes are hitting in the United States and it brings to mind emergency preparedness.

I realized that I really had not done any kind of emergency preparedness for myself!

So just to start, I picked up some cans of tuna fish and some blocks of coconut cream for storage. Ideally, I would make and store pemmican. But when I have made pemmican before, it grew mold, even in the fridge! I could try again. And this time, maybe try canning it instead of refrigerating it?

I also intend to get some shelving and store 10 gallons of water. It is not much, but it is a start!

I also want to make sure I have camping supplies, thermal blankets, and a bucket and sawdust for a toilet if needed!

In other news, I am happy to report that I received my marrow bones order yesterday evening, and I can pick up my whole lamb share tomorrow. So the lean times are just about over! 

I think the coconut cream served for me in an emergency for fat, but it is not ideal by any means. For one, I think my gut is a little affected by it. I seem to have a little bit of distension and bloating.

But even more importantly, coconut just does not have the essential nutrients that grassfed animal fat does. As I have been reading more about eye health (as I reach the age for bifocals), I am realizing how important that it is to have a good daily intake of vitamin A, C, E, and omega 3 fatty acids, in addition to sulfur, cysteine, lecithin, copper, zinc, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These can be found in grassfed animal fat from red meat and egg yolks.

The recommendation for omega 3 fatty acids is 1 gram per day. I actually reached that when eating lamb, even with restricted calories! I have also started to eat eggs for the other nutrients. And I have begun doing eye exercises, and trying to not spend as much time at a computer screen.

It is so good to have marrow fat again and lamb soon as well. I am happy that the lean times are just about over! It has been really tough not having a good fat source!

Grassfed veal steak with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts