Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

The Fat to Protein Goldilocks Zone

I feel like there is a set point, a "Goldilocks" ratio, between fat and protein that is just right. Not too high in protein, not too high in fat!

When it is just right, I maintain absolutely level blood glucose all day long and all night long, around 70mg/dl or 3.8mmol/l. My bodyfat stays at 14.6% with no fluctuation, almost effortlessly. My digestion is extremely efficient, my gut is visibly taut and not bloated, and my body feels and looks "cut", with good muscle definition.

I also have that wonderful, extremely level-headed feeling in my brain, and complete lack of hunger despite following 20% calorie restriction!

For me, that Goldilocks zone is 70% fat, 30% protein. When my protein intake is higher, I start to feel as if I have had carbs. Which makes sense, since my body is converting the excess protein to glucose. I get hungry and lose some of that level-headedness. 

And when my fat intake is higher than that, I feel weak, like I am not getting enough protein for my muscles.

It is a very delicate balance! I seem to be only able to maintain that ratio with having some added beef marrow on the side, even with good fatty lamb. Most lamb cuts besides ribs are just a little bit under that Goldilocks zone in terms of fat.

But when I add in just one tiny bite of marrow, just 10-15g (which literally is barely a bite), that makes the difference!

That tiny bite of marrow contains 100 calories of extremely nutrient dense, easily assimilated, antioxidant rich, glorious fuel for the brain and body! Eaten cold, with a sprinkle of sea salt, it is my version of "candy" - instead of fake cupcakes and similar foods that other keto followers like to make.

Why would I want to make keto substitutes for carcinogens like cake, cookies, bagels, candy, pizza? Give me instead a small amazing bite of marrow!

So even if it means I might have to order marrow from time to time online, I have decided it is worth to maintain my Goldilocks zone of fat to protein!

Grassfed lamb with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts