Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Earth Day! Plastic-free Carnivory to Heal the Earth

Zero Carb Keto

Earth Day! Plastic-free Carnivory to Heal the Earth

Today is Earth Day! Earth Day began in 1970 to bring awareness to environmental issues.

I have always tried to be aware of environmental issues, seeking out chemical free products and not using a private motor vehicle my whole adult life. For seven years I actually was vegan, thinking that it was good for the environment and my health, I did not know how wrong I was on both!

Since I started exploring zero carb keto (strict carnivore) nine years ago, I have become much more knowledgeable about the health of a carnivore diet. I did not realize the environmental health of a carnivore diet until more recently!

Around January of this year, I became really aware of the environmental impacts of plastics, chemicals, and crop agriculture. I educated myself with some very good documentaries such as "Plastic Paradise", "The Garbage of the World", "Living Downstream," and reading some very thought-provoking books "Plastic: A Toxic Love Story", "Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Habit and You Can Too", "The Vegetarian Myth." There are some excellent YouTube videos such as "Our Future Depends on Forage Agriculture" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ojrhGl_zM&feature=youtu.be
and another by Peter Ballerstedt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWK_o8ENpIw
He explains around the 1:20:00 mark that the only way we will be able to feed the world's people is by ruminant ranching.

I decided in February of this year to go zero waste and plastic-free! It was a great choice and I feel so much better for having done it! My skin breathes so much better with natural fiber clothing and linens, and without chemicals in my toiletries. 

Some of the things I did were to replace "disposable" menstrual products with the natural rubber cup "The Keeper" https://keeper.com/ (which I had actually been using 20 years ago!). I switched to eyeglasses instead of contact lenses. I wash my hair with washing soda instead of shampoo in plastic bottles, and locally made bars of soap instead of body wash. I am switching to all natural fiber clothing and linens to prevent microplastics entering the water cycle during washing. I purchase paper towels and toilet tissue wrapped in paper instead of plastic. I use baking soda instead of toothpaste. I purchase grassfed beef packed in recyclable steel cans instead of beef in plastic, or go to the meat/fish counter and ask them to put the items in a compostable BioBag. I compost any household waste in a stainless steel bin. I have replaced my furniture and flooring over the years with solid wood and leather instead of particle-board, plastic, and laminate products. I have stopped using air travel.

I realize now too that the carnivore diet based on forage ruminants is one incredible way to save the earth. Herds of ruminant animals sequester carbon and improve soil health, whereas crop agriculture actually kills topsoil and causes desertification. In addition, the global obesity epidemic causes a huge increase in the amount of chemical pharmaceutical use, which is environmentally destructive. In contrast, the zero carb carnivore diet allows for very high health and low bodyfat, with no need for pharmaceuticals or supplements. I have had many various blood tests, heart and cardiovascular scans, and blood pressure tests which all show the athlete level of health available from the strict carnivore diet based on forage ruminants.

I am still working to try and be more environmentally friendly. I plan to try and reduce my motor vehicle use even in carpools, and to continue to apply my dollar towards better health for people, animals, and the earth. I have donated to the One Spirit campaign of the Oglala Lakota people to help them build an abattoir and bring back bison ranching for their people's self-sufficiency. I really desire to be self-sufficient myself, and learn to raise sheep, slaughter and butcher them myself. I will continue to replace my clothing, linens, shoes, and household items with all-natural materials instead of plastics, and ask that any products shipped to me do not use plastics in the shipping and packaging. 

It may seem like a drop in the bucket having made these changes as just one person, but I enjoy the better health and happiness from this lifestyle!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts