Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Self Sufficiency / Urban Homesteading

Zero Carb Keto

Self Sufficiency / Urban Homesteading


I know it is unusual, but I think about self sufficiency all the time! I really want to be self sufficient, and I have since I was little. Weird, I know. But I really want to provide my own food, clothing, shelter, water, waste management, heat, and entertainment!

I have been researching it for a long time. For a while, I thought I would do a sheep farm and slaughter and butcher my own lamb. To find property that would allow livestock, though, I would have to move out to the country. That requires using a motor vehicle (or horse and buggy) to get around. I do not want to have to rely on a motor vehicle for transportation. I have never used a horse and buggy, but there are communities here that do.

Another idea I had is to try to do a homestead within a town center. So still within walking distance of some amenities, but be able to raise poultry for eggs and meat. Ducks and geese apparently can live fairly well on mostly forage from your garden, and do not take much space. So a town lot size could work!

I could create a rainwater catchment system and use a composting toilet to reduce or eliminate the need for city water. I could install solar panels with radiant heat to reduce or eliminate the need for electricity or gas for heat. I am already zero waste and composting everything.

In terms of entertainment, I am very happy to play music and sing, or just enjoy sitting outside and bird watching.

For clothing, I know how to spin and weave. So raising sheep would be great for that! But for the urban homestead, I could raise a small patch of flax and make linen. The bonus there is that ducks can eat flaxseeds. Or, I could just try to make my current clothes last as long as I can.

So it is possible! I have found some property in small towns that could work financially for the urban homestead. I also found an affordable property that could work for a sheep farm, but I would need to get and learn how to use a horse and buggy. That is more complicated. But the urban homestead, on the other hand, is eminently do-able. So really the only question is - do I just jump in and do it?




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts