Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Traveling With Zero Carb and Zero Waste; Topsoil

Zero Carb Keto

Traveling with Zero Carb and Zero Waste; Topsoil


I have been traveling the last weeks by car and still keeping to zero carb and zero waste!

I brought my cans of grassfed beef and a cooler and ice packs. I made a beef rillette and also hard boiled eggs.

I brought my washing soda for my hair, and my locally made hard soap for my body. The washing soda works so great for my hair, but there's two major drawbacks. One problem is that if I get it in my eyes, it burns really bad and makes my eyes very red for quite a while. The other is that it is extremely drying to my hands (and my earlobes!)

So I decided while I was at a health food store to pick up two different kinds of shampoo bars packed only in paper. I tried each of them throughout the next four days.

The shampoo bars were terrible! Just as I expected. The left my hair looking unkempt. It felt and looked really greasy and sticky. And I lost a lot of hairs too! Just awful!

So for now I am back to using the washing soda, but I am wearing gloves when applying it to my hair. I read that one person uses diluted vinegar only to wash their hair, which I might try. I use that to clean glass, and it works great! So I could see how it would work to cut grease in the hair! Maybe I will try it for my next wash.

In other news, I have been reading a lot about topsoil. In addition to the problem with plastics, there is also a huge environmental disaster looming in regards to topsoil. The human race is turning the earth into desert at a terribly fast rate, and has been since the advent of agriculture 10,000 years ago.

Tilled crops are a major source of the desertification. With each tilling of the soil, topsoil is lost.

This paper created by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a good source of information:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0389e/T0389E00.htm#Contents
"Undisturbed by man, soil is usually covered by a canopy of shrubs and trees, by dead and decaying leaves or by a thick mat of grass. With its covering of vegetation stripped away, however, soil is as vulnerable to damage as a tortoise without its shell. Whether the plant cover is disturbed by cultivation, grazing, burning, or bulldozing, once the soil is laid bare to the erosive action of wind and water, the slow rate of natural erosion is greatly accelerated. Losses of soil take place much faster than new soil can be created, and a kind of deficit spending begins with the topsoil."

I believe that the zero carb / carnivorous lifestyle is best nutritionally for humans, but also the way for our race to coexist with the earth. But it must be wild game ideally, or rotationally-grazed grassfed meats, not grain-fed! Grain agriculture is killing the topsoil. And also felling of forests for grazing, too. And for construction and roads.

And of course, we cannot rely on packing meats in plastic either. Plastic will never biodegrade, so ever piece of plastic created will never go away. Then there's the drilling for oil to create the plastics. Oil drilling causes harm to the soil as well. So we really must stop using plastic and creating plastic immediately.

Even steel cans, such as I have been buying, although recycled, still originally call for mining for metals, which too kills topsoil. So I am rethinking the use of metals.

I was considering how people preserved meats prior to plastics and refrigeration. People would salt and dry meats, and make confits and rillettes to preserve them in fat. If/when I start to harvest my own meats, I would like to try that!

I was thinking of other items to eat that do not harm topsoil besides game and grassfed meats: there's eggs (but only if the poultry is forage-fed only, not fed grains). Wild-caught fish and shellfish. Wild tree crops such as fruits, berries, and nuts, but those are only seasonal. Mushrooms.

I need to start hunting and fishing! I wonder if there is a good way to learn how?

In one other piece of news, I received the results for my genetic test for familial hypercholesterolemia. I tested positive, with the LDLR mutation c.2054C>T (p.Pro685Leu). So that explains why my LDL has always been high despite all my other parameters being in athlete-level! Although the genetic counselor urged getting a primary care physician and a lipidologist and taking statins, I am just going to continue with zero carb and getting yearly tri-vascular ultrasound scans.


.
2
0
5
4
C
>
T
(
p
.
P
r
o
6
8
5
L

.
2
0
5
4
C
>
T
(
p
.
P
r
o
6
8
5
L
e
u

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts