Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Nutrient Testing

Zero Carb Keto

Nutrient Testing


On the request of my friend, I got some nutrient blood panels done. I received my results yesterday. I was tested for vitamin B12, Folate, A, D, Coenzyme Q10, C, Zinc, Magnesium, and Selenium.

All of my results were good except vitamin C showed zero! That was a bit surprising, since the canned beef actually lists vitamin C on the nutrition label, and I had some beef liver and heart just days before the blood draw. I have read that zero carb / strict carnivores do not need to worry about vitamin C as long as they are eating fresh meat and fish. Although I have been using canned meat since going plastic-free, I have been buying fresh fish at least once a week, and eating some fresh beef here and there too.

Vitamin D and A were on the low side but still above deficiency level. B12 and CoQ10 were considered high. Everything else was within the optimal range.

I used to get vitamin C by eating beef sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus) regularly. But they are really hard to get, and they come in plastic. However, I think maybe I should make more of an effort to get more vitamin C daily.

I checked the US nutrition database and also the Canadian, French, Slovak, Finnish, Norwegian, and Italian databases. The best meat sources for vitamin C are sweetbreads of lamb or beef; poultry, beef, calf or pork liver; beef or lamb kidney; snails (interesting!); and fresh clams, mussels, and oysters (according to the US one only). Also beef spleen and lungs, but those are very hard to get. I tried making spleen once, and it was too tough to eat.

Last night I stopped at the fish counter and bought fresh mussels and had them put in one of my compostable BioBags. They were really delicious! Clams are higher in vitamin C than mussels, but were far too expensive. The mussels were pretty expensive too.

I decided that maybe instead I will buy chicken or turkey liver. The liver comes in plastic tubs, and I think even have plastic seals too, which is not good. The tubs are recyclable (although that just means downcycled really). So it is not a great alternative, but it is affordable.

Another option is to special order beef sweetbreads as I used to do. They are afprdable, but will come in nonrecyclable plastic, and are not 100% grassfed (however neither is the turkey or chicken for liver, they are fed grains too!). The liver supplies retinol though, which is good, but it is higher in omega 6s. I really enjoy the sweetbreads, but they require some legwork to do the ordering. That supports a local farmer though, which I like to do.

Maybe I will try both. I think I will make a point of trying to eat some meat item containing vitamin C every day!

As a last resort, I could try eating cooked bell peppers, which are some of the highest foods in vitamin C. But I they have caused me gut issues in the past. However, they are available without plastic, which is something to consider.


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts