Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Omega 6:3 Ratio; Bodyfat; Jerky, Rillette, Marrow Fat

I have tracked my food intake for many, many years, using Cronometer. It's a great program and really helpful. I noticed recently that my omega 6 : 3 ratio lately has been outstanding, under 2! It is because I have been eating just 100% grassfed lamb, wild-caught seafood, and 100% grassfed beef marrow fat. That is really great! And I am feeling really great too!

I really enjoy seafood and I have been fortunate to eat more of it lately. I eat a lot of Norwegian mackerel, Pacific saury (sanma), Icelandic cod liver, and also New Zealand mussels. I've also been picking up dried anchovies and dried shrimp as a a snack for both me and my zero-carb cat too! And recently I finally found some unseasoned eel fillets!

For a long time I have been hoping to get my bodyfat down even lower than 14%, but I just cannot seem to budge it. I have tried restricting calories even more, but then I get hungry. I usually do 20% calorie restriction from baseline, using the CRON calculator here:
https://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html
I can't really seem to restrict calories any further than 20% without hunger.

I have tried increasing exercise too, but it seems no matter what I do, I just cannot get lower than 14% bodyfat. That is considered "Athlete" level for women my age. That's still really good. Any lower than that in my age range is considered "Essential" fat. That might be so low as to affect hormonal health. So I guess my body knows what it needs!

I made some lambheart jerky last night. It's so good, I just can't believe it. The reason I use heart meat to make jerky is that it is the easiest to slice very thin, since it is really dense. But I might try with some boneless lamb roast as well, just leaving it a little bit frozen to help facilitate thin slicing. I no longer salt my jerky since I stopped using salt some months ago. I leave the fat on. Just slice it really thin and dehydrate it for 12 hours. (Then devour it within a day because I can't help myself around it.) Since it is heart, it is so amazingly flavorful! And super high in coenzyme Q10 and B vitamins. Both my coenzyme Q10 and B12 levels were off the chart last time I got tested. I eat a lot of heart!

I made some lamb roast rillettes yesterday. I cooked the lamb roast in an otherwise empty slow cooker for 12 hours, then "pulled" / shredded the meat, then added back in the juices, mashing it with a spoon. I wanted to add just the fat from the juices, but there wasn't enough. So I added the juices as well. It came out fairly smooth, but I wish it was a bit more fatty! Next time I could some marrow fat, I guess.

The marrow fat from a new vendor is so amazing! It tastes just like sweet cream butter. I can't believe it. For a second, I thought, is this butter? But then my brain reminded me, no, remember you actually roasted these marrow bones yourself? Anyway, I am very pleased. It is so great to have a little bite of it cold on the side of something lean, for example I had some some delicious roasted eel fillets yesterday with it. What a wonderful meal! These marrow bones are from Piedmontese cattle, which are a special breed from Italy that has a certain genetic mutation causing super-lean meat and hypermusculature. They were originally used for draft animals, milk, and meat. The marrow fat is just so amazing!

##








Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts