Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Swearing off Pork and Poultry

I know a lot of carnivore diet people swear by bacon and eggs. But in my opinion, pork and poultry (and that includes eggs) are just not healthy. They are very high in omega 6 fatty acids and inflammatory. I can feel it when I eat them. I even purchased online some gourmet pork: the woolly Mangalitsa pork that the Paleomedicina clinic in Hungary uses in their carnivore diet health protocol, and the acorn-fed Iberico pork renowned for its fatty acid similarity to olive oil. Yet they still both do not make me feel well, and the Iberico bothers me more so than the Mangalitsa.

It was interesting when I cooked up some pork belly from each yesterday, that the grease left over in the pans was completely different between the two. The grease from the Mangalitsa made a soft white lard. However the grease from the Iberico was a darker liquid. So I guess the Iberico fat really is more similar to olive oil. (And olive oil actually has never worked well for my gut!) In my opinion, the Mangalitsa had much more flavor, and my friend agreed.

Also, I just wanted to mention that bacon has a lot of other additives as well, such as sugars, spices, etc. So it is not zero carb. And it does a number on my gut!

Similarly I do not feel very well after eating poultry or eggs. I have also tried duck meat and duck eggs, and quail eggs too. But again, like pork, poultry is just very high in omega 6 fatty acids. So that makes sense that it makes me feel poorly.

After having the pork belly at lunch yesterday, I had gut pain and discomfort all afternoon, until I ate some good oxtail at dinner. Lesson learned! No more pork or poultry for me! Grassfed red meat and wild-caught fish is what I need!

In other news, I received some more bone marrow bones from a new vendor. I will be able to compare them to my usual vendor, so that will be interesting to see if one has more taste than the other.

I also ordered some smoked Norwegian mackerel (just smoke, salt, and fish, no additives), so I will try that for lunch today, and some Kobe ground beef. I was disappointed to see that the Kobe beef package said 96% lean, when I was expecting Kobe beef to be even fattier than regular ground beef, which is usually 80% lean. So I emailed them about it. I haven't heard back yet! 

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts