Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Back to Keto Ratio; Zero Carb Cat; Zero Waste Update!

Keto  Carnivory

Back to Keto Ratio; Zero Carb Cat; Zero Waste Update!


I went back to the higher fat,  ketogenic ratio yesterday.  I already feel better and slimmer! The scale says I lost two pounds even.  Huh! How surprising!

On Tuesday, I am going to cook up a pork comparison between the acorn-fed Iberico and the woolly Mangalitsa pigs' feet and belly, for some friends. I will also serve salmon with skin to offset the omega 6 content of the pork!

I have done this gourmet pork comparison once before, and surprisingly found the Mangalitsa, although grain-fed (wheat and barley), to be more flavorful than the acorn-fed Iberico! But I'm curious to see what my friends think in a blind taste test. Edited to add: Oh, unfortunately the plans got cancelled. Just as well. I tried a little of the pork, and really pork just doesn't make me feel very good.

I have decided too that since I need to maintain the ketogenic ratio and higher fat content, I will continue to eat 100% grassfed lamb and mutton; certain fatty beef cuts such as oxtail, tongue, and fatty brisket; fatty fish with skin such as mackerel, sanma, and Greenland halibut. On days I choose to have pork, I will be sure to have fish too to offset the omega 6 fatty acid overload.

My cat continues to do well on his zero carb diet too! I have been giving him Tiki brand After Dark series wet food for about two months now. He has lost almost all of his paunch, and his coat is shiny and free and dandruff now too! He vomits far less often now, and his stools are much better too. And I like that it comes with chicken juices, so he gets plenty of liquids!

I wanted to give an update on my zero-waste / plastic-free mission too! I am still using pure coconut oil for deodorant / anti-perspirant. I found that the Artisana brand comes in glass with a metal lid, all recyclable. I use pure baking soda for my teeth (and have for decades, with the blessing of my dentist!). I use locally made bar soaps wrapped in paper for hand and body cleansing.

I use Bon Ami for cleaning the bathrooms (it comes in a totally recyclable container of paper and metal), and diluted white vinegar for cleaning glass. I sweep up the floors with natural broomcorn brooms. The few things which I am still using that come in plastic containers (which I do recycle) are: corn cat litter, shampoo and conditioner, and contact lens solution.

If I could find a decent spice grinder, I could replace the shampoo and conditioner with fenugreek and hibiscus. But currently, I can't grind it fine enough, and I get stuck with little bits in my hair, which is not good. I tried using washing soda, but over time that was too drying. I had also tried baking soda as well as shampoo bars, but those didn't cleanse my hair. In the past, I have used soapnuts, but they always come in plastic.

The cat food luckily comes in recyclable cans, although the cases are wrapped in some plastic, unfortunately. I found toilet tissue and paper towels that are wrapped in paper. I even found a kitchen sponge yesterday made of cellulose (compostable hopefully?) with no plastic wrapping!

I have been using Preserve toothbrushes, which you can send back to them. However, I just ordered some natural neem sticks that are not packed in plastic! So I will be excited to switch to those.

I have been storing my cooked meats in glass containers. I also just ordered some reusable waxed cotton sandwich containers to carry my lunch with me on the bus. Hopefully they will arrive soon. I have been using little glass containers but they are a bit heavy and bulky.

But of course, all of my frozen meat and fish comes in plastic which is not recyclable. I've tried using just canned meat, but it just gets to be too monotonous. So unfortunately, that's a battle for another day!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts