Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Variety Meats Are the Spice of Life

Keto Carnivory

Variety Meats Are the Spice of Life

The other day I met one of the local grassfed beef farmers and picked up some beef to help get through the winter. I got some oxtail, a fatty brisket (although really kind of lean, I'm sorry to say), some beef kidney, a heart, and a tongue. 

I had not tried beef kidney, only lamb and sheep. I really loved the lamb and sheep kidney. I cooked them on low in the slow cooker along with some other organ meats and a roast. They came out so tender and mild! So I thought I might see how beef kidney was!

It is shaped differently, not really kidney shaped, and it is segmented. I cooked it the same way, and it came out great. Very mild and tasty, and I am hooked! Also, kidney is very high in B2, B12, and selenium. Bonus!

I really enjoy organ meats and offal. The variety really helps to keep things interesting, and it helps provide different nutrients as well. The old adage is to eat the organ for the organ you want to improve. So for a good heart, eat heart. That actually has some scientific backing since heart is incredibly high in coenzyme Q10, which is good for the heart. When I had blood tests done last year, my coQ10 levels were very, very high!

I love the different textures of organ meats too. Muscle meat is pretty much all the same, with varying levels of fattiness. But organ meats are all different, from kidney, to thymus, to testes, they all have different textures and flavors.

I just wish I could find more grass-finished meats that fall within a naturally ketogenic ratio. There's really just lamb and mutton. Most grass-finished beef is just too lean. Pork and poultry are too high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids.

Luckily, there's also seafood. Atlantic mackerel with skin, Pacific saury with skin, Greenland halibut with skin, salmon with skin, sablefish with skin, and cod liver. But that's it! Even amongst all the game meats and exotic meats. Everything is just way too lean.

So I guess I will continue to do what I am doing, not try to go zero waste and avoid plastic. I need to eat the organ meats, offal, and wild-caught fish, for variety! 

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts