Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Trust Nothing Packaged!

Keto Carnivory

Trust Nothing Packaged!

This morning I did some seafood shopping at the Asian grocery store. I got some whole sanma (Pacific saury), Greenland halibut steak, and some salted Atlantic mackerel fillets (wish they weren't pre-salted, but that's the only way they come!). 

I also wish there were more options for fatty fish, but there just aren't. I love a lot of other fish, such as squid, clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp, but they are way too lean to eat on their own.

I also saw a pack of flying fish eggs so picked those up, and a dried fish labelled "file fish". Well, unfortunately, both of those were a bad buy! The flying fish eggs tasted sweet to me, and since they were unlabeled, I looked online to see what is commonly in flying fish eggs. And amazingly, there are all kinds of additives including corn syrup and soy sauce!! And I had already eaten some of it too. Also I tried a little of the dried file fish, and found it to be terribly sweet. It only listed one ingredient, file fish, but when I looked that up online, that too had multiple ingredients including corn syrup and sugar!! So I'm sure my gut will pay the price for those bites later. Darn it. I am so frustrated. I feel like nothing can be trusted!

I had read in an article that even the fresh pork or chicken at the grocery store usually is injected with a solution that may contain various ingredients, which won't necessarily be stated on the package! Processors are now doing that with beef as well. It's called "enhanced":

"...enhanced meat can be defined as fresh, whole muscle meat that has been injected with a solution of water and other ingredients that may include salt, phosphates, antioxidants, and flavorings.

"it's becoming more difficult to buy certain cuts of meat that have not been enhanced...pork is the best example of this trend. In some supermarkets, most fresh pork products, including spare and loin back ribs, butts, picnics, and loins, are available only as an enhanced pork product—non-enhanced versions of these same cuts are not available."

So frustrating!! It seems the only way to really be sure what you are getting is to raise it yourself.

Unfortunately, I cannot raise lamb in my 900 sq ft condo! 

I hope that I can trust that the local processors are not adding anything to my whole lamb shares, or the local cuts of beef that I purchase. But as for the Asian store, I am really losing faith! I hope that the whole sanma fish are at least unadulterated. But the mackerel fillets I know have salt added. Who knows what else!

Once quite a few years ago, I had purchased some testing strips to see if foods had glucose in them. Maybe I need to get those again and test everything before I eat it! Unfortunately, they are very expensive, and made of plastic.

I guess for now I will have to let my taste buds be my guide. And if it tastes sweet, just spit it out!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts