Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Finding Highest Quality Meat on a Budget

Keto Carnivory

Highest Quality Meat on a Budget

This weekend I met a local farmer to stock up on organ meats for variety over the winter. I already have a mini chest freezer full of lamb roasts, stew meat, and ribs, plus some Mangalitsa and Ibericus pork as well. But although these types of pork are healthier than regular pork, they are still pretty high in omega 6 fatty acids which cause inflammation and make me not feel well. So I wanted another healthy alternative that is still affordable!

I found that organ meats and offal, except for sweetbreads (thymus and pancreas) are usually very affordable, $3/lb or less for locally raised 100% grassfed and grass-finished lamb, goat, or beef. Which is great! So I was able to procure probably around 30 lbs of lamb and goat kidney, tongue, heart, and testes. Also, when I bought a full sheep share, that only came to $3/lb as well, since mutton is more affordable than lamb! And it tastes exactly the same. I had also previously picked up some grassfed and grass-finished beef oxtail, tongue, heart, and brisket.

I also found that the Asian grocery store has Pacific saury (sanma) for sale for just 4 for $3.50. So that's a great buy too. 

Now that it seems I don't need to worry about fat to protein ratio so much, it certainly makes it easier. I don't have to focus on just fatty cuts, which are so hard to get!

If I can maintain just $3/lb for my meats, that means I can take early retirement in just a few years! Very exciting!

##



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts