Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Omega 6 in Pork and Poultry Revisited, Game Meats, Zero Waste / Plastic-Free

Keto Carnivory

Omega 6 in Pork and Poultry Revisited, Game Meats

In my post the other day, I talked about the high omega 6 fatty acids in pork and poultry (that includes eggs). I mentioned how if they were brought up on a 100% forage-fed diet, the omega ratio would improve. However, even 100% forage-fed wild boar still has an 11:1 to 17:1 omega ratio, which is still far too high and is inflammatory.

After having eaten quite a bit of pork yesterday, I can feel it. It feels inflammatory. So I think when people decide to go keto or carnivorous but rely heavily on eggs and bacon, they are not doing best for their body. Both are very very inflammatory due to the omega ratio, plus bacon has sugars and other inflammatory additives as well.

Inflammatory omega ratios can lead to health problems. This study showed a reduction in cancer cell proliferation when the omega ratio was kept under 4:1:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909/

I was curious about other game meats. I looked up to see which game meats are high enough in fat to be in a naturally ketogenic ratio. Unfortunately, there are not very many! Most game meats are far too lean. I found just four: black bear meat, raccoon meat (who knew!), Canada goose, and Bighorn sheep. Of these, it seems only sheep has a healthy omega ratio. Oh well!

So my lesson learned is to stick with 100% grassfed and grass-finished lamb and mutton mostly, some fatty cuts of grassfed and grass-finished beef, and break that up with wild-caught fatty fish such as Atlantic mackerel, Pacific saury, and Greenland halibut.

I will continue to avoid pork, poultry, eggs, as well as dairy (which I've realized is just too problematic for me). It's just not worth it to eat foods that don't make me feel well!

In other news, I am thinking again about going back to zero waste / plastic-free living. I just hate how much plastic waste I create with all of these packs of meat. Otherwise I do not really produce any garbage.

I have already transitioned to only wearing 100% natural fibers and using only natural fibers for my linens and blankets.

I do fairly well in being zero waste in my toiletries. For deodorant, I just use coconut oil, which comes in a glass jar with a metal lid and no plastic seal. For toothpaste, I use baking soda. For body wash, I use locally made bar soap that comes in paper. I am back to using shampoo and conditioner, which come in plastic bottles, unfortunately. I do recycle them, but from what I understand, plastic is really only down-cycled, not truly re-cycled. So that is not good. But after trying washing soda and some other alternatives, I just felt really unhappy with my hair. So for now, that is what I am using. I had some good results with hibiscus and fenugreek, but I just could not grind them fine enough and they left bits in my hair. If there was a way to grind them more finely, I would try that again.

I also do use dish liquid that comes in a plastic bottle, unfortunately. I had been using washing soda, which worked really well for dishes, actually, but it was drying out my hands pretty badly. I suppose I could try again with using some kind of gloves.

I had been able to find toilet tissue and paper towels wrapped only in paper, so that has been good.

I found a zero carb cat food that comes in aluminum cans, which can be truly recycled over and over. However, the cases are shipped with plastic seals. I found flushable / septic safe cat litter made from corn, but it also comes in a plastic bag. The bag has a recycling symbol, so I do recycle it.

But the worst offender by far for me is my meat. It always, always comes in plastic, and that plastic is not recyclable at all. I had found some canned 100% grassfed beef from a farmer in a neighboring state, and I was using that for a while. But it is very lean. Then I found some canned Tushonka mutton, which is not labeled as grassfed at all, and has a few black peppercorns and bay leaf added. That seemed to bother my gut a little over time. Just a little though. I also found canned Iceland cod liver. I was thinking I could go back to the grassfed beef and eat it with the oil in which the cod liver comes packed? All of those were able to be sent without the use of plastics, too! 

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts