Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Lambheart Jerky is my Weakness; Biogenic Amines

I have pretty great willpower most of the time. I have no problem turning down all the carb-y crap they have at work such as donuts, pizzas, cookies, candy, all that junk. I have no problem maintaining 20% calorie restriction from baseline according to calorie restriction calculators. I have no problem turning down and avoiding all plant matter, including coffee, tea, spices, all of it.

But oh goodness, when I make my homemade lambheart jerky, (just thinly sliced lambheart, no salt, no spices, dehydrated overnight), I have zero willpower! It is so amazingly tasty, and so crunchy, and so fun and delicious, I just cannot help but to keep going back for more. It's kind of ridiculous.

Luckily, it's a very, very healthy addiction. Heart meat is incredibly in B vitamins and coenzyme Q10 (which are incidentally, good for your heart!). In fact, when I had my B12 and coenzyme Q10 levels tested earlier this year, they were both off the chart! Haha, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I am nuts over heart jerky!

In other news, I had a histamine response after drinking a few cups of a simple broth I made with katsuobushi (dried tuna flakes). My nose turned bright red! I remembered that sometimes I get that response to certain foods. It is an intolerance to biogenic amines, described in this article:
http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/histamine-intolerance/
"Avoid cultured, processed, cured, fermented and aged foods."
Whoops! Katsuobushi is both fermented and aged. Oh well! So much for that idea. Guess maybe I should just go back to plain boiled water!


##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts