Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Plant Matter for Fats?

I decided to go back to the Asian store and pick up some more seafood. I just feel like I need some lately. I had gotten some good fatty fish: sanma, Atlantic mackerel,  and Greenland halibut. But later I went back and bought some more fish, even though they were lean. I got mussels and a mix of squid,  octopus,  clams,  mussels,  and scallops.

But to maintain a ketogenic ratio, I need extra fat with those fish. Since I do not do well with any dairy, and do not have any marrow bones available, I am going to venture back into plant matter a little. I picked up some food-grade cocoa butter, which I melt down and pour into silicone molds for fat bombs. I also picked up a jar of coconut butter.

I had a little of each on the side of my seafood for dinner. It was good! And a nice change of pace. We'll have to see how my gut does. Many years ago, I had used cocoa butter bombs before and I think they were pretty OK for my gut. Coconut butter is another story.  I have tried it before, and it does seem to affect my gut over time. But maybe if I only have it occasionally, that might be OK. I don't like coconut oil,  so that's not an option.

I just really felt like I needed something besides the lamb and beef and organ meats I have been eating. Especially since lately it all seems too lean and therefore unappetizing. I think I just need the fat right now!

In terms of my zero waste mission, the coconut butter comes in a totally recycable glass jar with metal lid and paper seal. So that's great! The cocoa butter comes in a plastic jar, unfortunately, but it is recyclable at least.

I hope these plant fats will work so that I can enjoy more types of seafood. Edited to add: ugh, no, my gut is already rebelling. So much for that!

My only other option is to order marrow bones online. But they are very expensive!

Also, I have been thinking more about my self-sufficient homestead dream. My original idea was to raise sheep and slaughter and process the lambs myself. But I don't know that I am physically strong enough to do that by myself. So yesterday I was thinking instead of fishing. That I can physically handle alone! But if I want to maintain ketosis, I would need extra fat, as the fish here are too lean. So I don't know if that would really work. There's rabbits, which are too lean in the wild, but when raised domestically, can be fatty enough, apparently. So that's an idea.

I really like the idea of being self-sufficient. I had thought about getting some acreage, a hard-sided yurt, a rainwater catchment system, a solar-powered radiant heat floor, and a composting toilet. The last step was figuring out a viable source of food!

I know it's probably just a pipe dream, but it's fun to dream anyway!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts