Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto and High Quality Fat

I really, really enjoy being in ketosis!

I love the level-headed feeling of it! I do not get horribly hungry all the time like I used to do back in my sugar-burning days. I do not get menstrual cramps anymore at all (they used to be quite terrible) and my menses is very light and quick. Also, I do not have moodiness like I used to do back when I ate carbohydrates.

I follow 15-20% calorie restriction (for health purposes, in place of fasting), without feeling deprived or hungry.

I maintain 14-15% bodyfat (as a 46-yr-old female). I perform 30 minutes of ballet barre exercise daily, and also have started some minimal free weight exercise. I am very happy with my musculature and energy levels!

All of my health parameters are excellent, except that my (large, bouyant) LDL is "high" according to the powers that be. Since my CT and trivascular scans had perfect scores, I do not think the LDL is an issue. All of my other parameters, including complete blood count, hormones, thyroid, glucose, insulin, osteocalcin, A1C, CRP, ESR, etc. are all excellent. And my dentist is always pleased with my oral and dental hygiene as well!

I wanted to stress though, the importance of high quality fat when following zero carb keto!

Through my years of trial and error, I have found that some fat sources just do not work as others. For example, pork and poultry just seem to be too high in omega 6 fatty acids. They seem to cause problems with triglycerides. Dairy (grassfed, A2 casein ghee, cream, and butter) causes inflammation for me, including bumpy skin and weight and bodyfat gain. Also, I was hoping that bison might work, but I found it to be far too lean. I experimented some with sablefish (also known as "black cod"), and it is good, but expensive, and comes from a long distance. I usually try to eat locally raised foods.

So in my experience and for my region, the highest quality fats are those found within 100% grassfed meats such as beef tongue, beef brisket, oxtail, and most lamb cuts.

When I consume only these, with sufficient water and salt, I feel great, and the living is easy!

Grassfed beef brisket with sea salt flakes




Comments

  1. What a good looking plate of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is brisket the same cut as tri-tip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No tri-tip is above the back leg and brisket is above the front leg. Brisket will be fattier, especially if they keep the full fat cap.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts