Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto Locavore Part II

In yesterday's post, I talked about having read Lierre Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth" and ideally raising one's own food.

That is definitely still my goal! In the meantime, I try to purchase my meats and fats locally as much as possible.

I have mentioned before that local processors always trim too much fat from the cuts. So then I have to find sources of fat to have on the side.

The fat that seems to work best for me is marrow. My digestion loves it, and it supplies great, easily assimilated vitamins and antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids.

However, it is also very hard to get locally, at least the 100% grassfed marrow!

I have tried homemade clotted cream from 100% grassfed, raw A2 casein cream, and while very delicious, I feel like it is not as healthy for my body. I noticed an aggravation of my keratosis pilaris (bumpy skin) and my gut, as well as weight and bodyfat gain. Which sends a signal to me of inflammation!

Last night I met with one of the local farmers and when picking up more grassfed meat, I decided to try their raw cultured butter. Again, it was from 100% grassfed, raw A2 casein cream. However, again this morning, I noticed an inflammatory response of weight and bodyfat gain. So unfortunately, dairy is just not going to work for me! Along with pork and poultry, which are too high in omega 6 fatty acids.

So I think that I will try to focus on getting local lamb as much as possible, and beef tongue and brisket, as those cuts are generally fatty enough on their own. I might also buy a chest freezer so I can stock up on lamb when it is in season. Otherwise, I will have to order grassfed marrow bones online, unfortunately!

And the one other item that cannot be raised locally is sea salt! So although I can buy it from a local shop, it is still coming from quite a distance. But, that is why salt was so precious historically!

Grassfed lamb with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts