Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Back to Three Meat Meals

After experimenting with lowering my protein intake, I have just gone back to my previous intake. It works much better for me. So I am back to three fatty meat meals per day (or lean meat with added beef marrow on the side).

I feel so much better! It is really interesting what a difference tweaking your macronutrient ratios can make!

I have been eating mostly lamb, with some fatty beef cuts such as brisket and tongue when I cannot get lamb. Then added roasted beef marrow on the side when needed when the cuts are too lean.

I had mentioned previously that I have thought about learning how to raise and butcher lamb and sheep. One of the reasons is that often the cuts are too lean, and I think it is because the processors are trimming too much. I give explicit instructions to leave a full fat cap, though. So I do not know if they are still trimming too much, or that the animals are just very lean. That is possible, since they are 100% grassfed and we had a dry summer.

I have considered going to England to study, since they have more of a tradition with lamb and sheep. I found an artisanal butchery school there, and some places that offer a working vacation on sheep ranches.

I was also delighted to see that the Prince of Wales had founded the "Mutton Renaissance Campaign" to bring mutton back to the table in the United Kingdom. More info is available here:
http://muttonrenaissance.org.uk/

It is fascinating to study the long tradition of sheep raising in English culture. I had read a very thoughtful and eloquent book called "The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape" which is a good glimpse into the English sheep raising tradition.

The Faroe Islands also have a long tradition of sheep raising, but they speak Faroese, so that would make it harder to study there!

Australia and New Zealand also have a tradition of sheep raising, and are some of the top exporters of lamb and mutton worldwide.

It would be some outlay of cost to travel and study overseas. I will do some more research to find if there are any places in the United States or Canada that may have more of a tradition of sheep raising!

Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts