Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Higher Fat, Lower Protein

It has been a few days now of switching to an even higher fat, lower protein version of calorie restricted, zero carb keto. So far I really like it!

What I have done is gone from three small fatty meat meals per day to just two (breakfast and lunch). My "dinner" is now just a spoonful or so of fat. This is keeping my calorie intake the same, just changing the macros to higher fat and lower protein.

My goal is the low protein intake recommended to prevent tumor growth, at 1g protein intake per 1kg lean body mass. So just around 40g protein daily. This will put me more around 77% fat intake / 23% protein instead of 70/30 that I was doing previously.

I am now using roasted grassfed beef marrow as my fat.

The results have been very good. My fasting blood glucose has gone even lower than it was! Which is great! It was just 59mg/dl this morning (3.2mmol/l). My morning blood pressure is also very, very low. It was just 65/47 this morning! And I feel even more "level" than I did before, with no sugar spikes/crashes. I really like that feeling!

In other news, I picked up my third whole lamb share yesterday. This one was much smaller. The last two have been around 45lbs (20kg) processed, but this one was just 25lbs (11kg) processed. Luckily, with my new way of eating only two meals per day, that will help it last longer! This one was from a different local farmer, so it will be interesting to see if the lamb tastes any different due to different pasture!

I have finally been able to try some of the mutton that I purchased. I had heard that mutton is more "gamey" tasting than lamb, but I did not notice any difference at all. Also, I had read that mutton is fattier than lamb, but actually I have noticed that these cuts (ribs and ground) are actually leaner than the lamb. So I will continue to purchase lamb instead. And when lamb is not available, I will purchase fatty beef cuts such as tongue and brisket.

The only downside is that it feels strange to me to only eat a spoonful of marrow for my "dinner"! But it is worth it to me to have good health!

Grassfed ground mutton with beef marrow and sea salt








Comments

  1. Hi Mellie. I know, you're probably sick of me, but I have another question. With a fasting blood glucose of 59mg/gl, is that too low? Everything I have read says that anything below 70 is too low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When using a ketogenic diet for therapeutic purposes, the ideal glucose to ketone ratio is around 1:1. This means keeping a very low fasting blood sugar.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts