Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Cool Hand

One of my favorite things about following a zero carb keto lifestyle is keeping a "cool hand," meaning not being easily disconcerted. Being imperturbable, level-headed, composed, equanimous.

It really helps, when in this crazy, busy, modern world full of such high expectations and demands!

Also, I think part of the "cool hand" is because one does not get hungry really much at all, so that too allows for more level-headedness. Especially when faced with long, hard work hours and missed meals, when otherwise a person might get fatigued, crabby and irritable!

I feel like this way of eating has really helped me get through some very tough and challenging times, whereas if I had been eating carbs, I do not think I could have done it. Or it would have been much, much harder and more emotionally tolling!

I wanted to mention too that going back to three fatty meat meals per day just really works best for me! My protein intake is higher than the recommended 1g per kg lean body mass, more like 1.6g per kg lean body mass. But for me, that amount of total protein intake really seems to work. Not too much, not too little! Enough to be able to keep up with 30 minutes of ballet barre exercise daily and 20-30 minute evening walks, while still keeping blood glucose, blood ketones, and blood pressure all in excellent ranges, and practicing around 20% calorie restriction!


Grassfed lamb shank with sea salt


Comments

  1. Hi Mellie. That sounds wonderful. I was hoping for the level headedness, not being crabby, and not feeling hungry all the time. But I am still experiencing those things. I have been eating zero carbs for a little over 30 days now. Just ground beef with added fat (because it is too lean), and water. Usually I am at close to a fat/protein ratio of 80/20 and trying to do a 15% calorie restriction. What am I doing wrong? Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a pretty high fat percentage. You might want to come down to more 70/30. Also, if you were not already fat-adapted, it can take up to 6 weeks to adapt. Also, are you also having a good amount of sea salt? That is really important for electrolyte balance.

      Delete
    2. I don't add salt. I get pitted edema in my legs which gets worse as the day goes. I was told that that condition is worsened by too much sodium. So I have avoided it. Lately, I tried a pinch of salt and it tastes terrible to me. But I have just started taking bentonite clay in the mornings and that has sodium in it.
      My thought was that I was still having those symptoms because of a combination of, I am not fat adapted, or in ketosis, and the meat was too lean. So I need more fat. I do think that I am highly sensitive to anything sweet and maybe my body is very good at converting the protein into glucose. From all the years of abuse to my body, eating the SAD, I could be very insulin sensitive. Too much protein converts to glucose and kicks you out of ketosis, right? Maybe I need to be at the 1g of protein to kg of body weight. I don't know. I just really want to figure this out so I can feel what you describe that you feel. Any thoughts?

      Delete
    3. When I felt very drained and exhausted, eating more sea salt worked for me. But you are also feeling hungry. You may just need to eat baseline calories for a while.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the advice. I will try to tweak ratios and see how I feel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts